Reporting to government

There are several situations where community organisations may be required to report to government. 

Reporting to government
Reporting can seem like a burden, however it is a great opportunity for your organisation to ensure its house is in order. The steps involved in preparing and submitting reporting documents mean that the reporting process needs to start well before reporting deadlines.

Some common examples of reporting to government that not-for-profits encounter are reporting to:

  • the government body that administers the type of incorporated structure (eg. Consumer Affairs Victoria, Australia Securities and Investments Commission)
  • fundraising regulators
  • the Australian Taxation Office (in relation to Tax), and
  • the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (for registered charities)

There is also information on the Hub about specific types of reporting included in the following topics:

The pages in this topic detail with the main kinds of ongoing reporting for incorporated structures.